Sunday, July 11, 2010

TiP: Hair Stylist Loyalty 101

Things get busy and life gets hectic but stay true to your stylist! Don't have too many different "Philosophies" in your head! Don't victimize your hair!

I've been one to have too many hands in my hair. What I mean by that is... I may go to one stylist this week and another the next. For me? it's my business to do this. I'm my own Ginnie pig. But I realise it's not always the best situation for your hair. I admit, it's a convenience thing over anything else. My life gets hectic and I hate making appointments even days in advanced because things tend to change for me VERY quickly and abruptly. Alot of the time, I've been that horrible client that cancels the morning of or wants to come in the morning of (without notice). At one point I travelled a lot, so for me i've learned you have to have consistency with your hair. That applies to your stylist as well.

I KNOW, I know, we're all not Oprah. Not all of our budgets can include our stylist as an item when travelling across the country or the world.

But to avoid having a few pocket curl situations, be sure to consider the following....

- It's true, you have different stylist for different things. You may have one stylist for your regular wash 'n go look and another for your creative extensions fix. You may have various stylist in various cities to accommodate your travel situation. Although their gifts and styling traits may be different make sure they have similar hair care philosophies to avoid mismatched hair situations that may lead to serious stress on your hair.

- Have an open and honest relationship with your stylist. Be friendly and relaxed with them to receive genuine feedback. You wouldn't just let ANYONE house sit? So get to know who is styling your hair.

- Be consistent. Visit your hairstylist on a schedule that your budget and time can accommodate. Invest in them and they will invest in your hair. Let them trust you so you can trust them. In this industry, people tend to get hustled with a blink of an eye to avoid this be consistent and personable.


*I know you all are probably wondering what in the WORLD is a Pocket Curl. I only learned what this term meant by my home girl Ms. Lynn (Jazma). Pretty much, it's when a shady stylist is curling your hair, burns a patch of your hair (that may or may not drop to the floor) and pockets the curl. They don't tell you about the mistake, they don't try to fix it but rather they pocket the curl and send you on your way without any remorse. So befriend your stylist and AVOID the Pocket Curl lol.

Post by Editor in Chief Ally Glasgow, owner of AMAG Media (Web Media & Events Management Company) and LOUDMOUFCOUTURE Clothing. Ally and her team stay busy with in house communication projects in Beauty, Fashion, Travel and The Arts. Give her feedback via ally@amagmedia.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment